- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar (for diner-style pancakes) or 1/4 cup instant malted milk powder ( for diner-style pancakes)
- Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy, about 3 minute at high speed of a mixer (I do this step in blender and mix the rest in bowl with a large whisk).
- Stir in butter or oil.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and gently, but quickly, mix into the egg and milk mixture.
- Let the batter relax while griddle is heating (or overnight in refrigerator) The batter will thicken upon resting.
- Grease and preheat griddle.
- The griddle is ready if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.
- Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter on the lightly greased griddle.
- Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form and break (this is the time to add anything like berries, chocolate chips, etc), then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown (turning only once).