Sunday, August 30, 2009
Shrimp & Grits on Hyde st.
4 1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. stone-ground grits
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
Fresh ground pepper
3 Tbs. butter
1. Whisk grits and salt into the boiling water.
2. Reduce to simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and butter until melted. Season with pepper and Tabasco.
1 lb. peeled shrimp
3 slices chopped bacon
1 large clove garlic
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
1 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbs. peanut oil
* Total cooking time for shrimp is less than four minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp.
1. Render the chopped bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Reserve and pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat.
2. Gently toss the shrimp with the flour until they are lightly coated; remove excess flour.
3. Over medium high heat sauté shrimp for one or two minutes (until approx. half-cooked).
4. Add the mushrooms and toss. When they begin to cook, add in the reserved bacon.
5. Press the garlic clove and stir it in; very quickly add the Tabasco and lemon juice (do not let the garlic brown).
6. Season with salt and add the green onions at the very end. Arrange the shrimp over the cheese grits and enjoy!